No. 266, Winter 2018
On the Cover: From Berkelee to Average White Band to records and tours with John Scofield, Adam Deitch knows the recipe to get audiences moving. The funky groove chef leads jam-funk titans Lettuce as the band revs up its album output.
Features: We sat down with the Funky 5 — Dennis Chambers, Adam Deitch, Stanton Moore, Bernard Purdie, and Chad Smith — to define The State Of The Funk in music today. Your votes have been counted, check out who took top honors in the annual Drummies! Gear Awards. You’ve got the right equipment, now check out these 16 Ways To Keep Your Gear In Top Shape.
- Learn 50 ways to funk up your drumming
- Stanton Moore debuts his new funk column with go-go variations
- Danny Gottlieb speeds up your jazz ride cymbal
- Anika Nilles shows a warmup featuring transitions in 7
- Glen Sobel details his “two pedals, one foot” technique
- Brian Andres demonastrates the mambo bell pattern
- Matt Byrne continues his single stroke double bass patterns
- Gil Sharone shows a reggae classic beat from “Old Marcus Garvey”
- Ludwig Neusonic
- Crescent Element Series
- Yamaha Crosstown Lightweight Hardware
- Roland TD-17KVX
Plus: Percussionist Aaron Draper gears up for tours with Adele and Eminem; James “Diamond” Williams on driving The Ohio Players’ funky rhythms; Alan Evans on a new direction for Soulive; Sean Kinney keeps Alice In Chains nice and heavy; Interpol’s Sam Fogarino brings the swing; Bernard Purdie’s favorite 5 pieces of gear; Van Morrison’s touring percussionist Teena Lyle; 5 questions to ask before signing a producing contract; how thickness and ply count affect the sound of your drums.